Every year at the same time, schools start to focus on fire safety at schools for fire safety month. Fire safety tips are taught and children sometimes attend special programs which teach them more about fire safety in school and at home.
The reality is that while fire safety month is an important part of the overall growth of the child and helping them to stay secure, fire safety tips should be taught and adhered to all year around.
Just a few fire safety tips that you should remember to keep you safe and to ensure fire safety at schools and at home are these:
- Never overload any outlet. If the outlet has more than one extension cord running away from it, make sure that you take into account the overall load that the extension cord should have, as well as the outlet. More than one extension cord should never be run from the same outlet.
- Never run extension cords or other electrical medium beneath a carpet or rug. To do so means that with the slightest break they may well cause a fire.
- Ensure that the right amount of smoke alarms are installed in both home and school. Keeping your battery charged means testing monthly. Try to accomplish testing on the same day each month so that it becomes second nature.
- When working with science equipment or other items that may be causative factors, be sure that no loose clothing is worn. Teachers should be monitoring all experiments and uses of flammable liquids and equipment personally to ensure that proper fire safety techniques are being used and to ensure that personal safety is of paramount importance.
- Fire drills should take place with more frequency than what is mandated. Ensure that everyone is out of the school and during a fire drill, take steps to ensure that every student behaves as though an actual fire is taking place. These are learning experiences that can save a life.
Fire safety in schools is as important as fire safety in the home. With so many ways to cause a fire and to see accidents happen, extra precautions are always necessary to keep the students and the teachers safe from harm.